歴 史

history

Founder Zen Priest Genkitsu Sanyo(Kanshitsu)

Dedicator shougun Ieyasu Tokugawa

慶長6年(1601)徳川家康は国内教学の発展を図るため、

下野足利学校第九代学頭・三要元佶(閑室)禅師を招き、伏見に圓光寺を建立し学校とした。

圓光寺学校が開かれると、僧俗を問わず入学を許した。

また孔子家語・貞観政要など多くの書籍を刊行し、これらの書物は伏見版または圓光寺版と称された。

当寺には、出版に使用された木活字が現存しており、我国出版文化史上特筆すべき寺院であるといえよう。

その後、圓光寺には相国寺山内に移り、さらに寛文7年(1667)現在の一乗寺小谷町に移転された。

寺内には本尊千手観音(伝運慶作)・開山元佶禅師像(重文)・竹林図屏風六曲(応挙作・重文)・

近世初期制作の木製活字五万個(重文)がある。

庭園は、山門を入ると枯山水「奔龍庭」が眼前に広がり、更に中門を抜けると苔と紅葉で有名「十牛之庭」がある。

水琴窟、栖龍池とともに洛北の静寂さをかもしだしている。

また、裏山には当山開基の徳川家康公を祀った東照宮や、墓地内には村山たか女(花の生涯のヒロイン)、

マレーシア留学生オマール氏(広島原爆にて死亡)の墓がある。

開山 三要元佶(閑室)禅師  開基 徳川家康公

In 1601, shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa built the Enkouji Temple in Fushimi, Kyoto, as a school to promote scholarship in Japan, and invited as its principal Zen Priest Genkitsu (Kanshitsu) Sanyo, who had been the ninth principal of the Ashikaga School in Shimotsuke ( a region near Tokyo). Genkitsu also founded Sangakuji Temple in Hizen ( a region in Kyushu ), his home country, and the Enkouji Temple in Sunpu ( present-day Shizuoka ).

The Enkouji school admitted both monks and laymen as students. Many Chinese classics such as “Koshi-Kego” ( a chronicle of the sayings and doings of Confucius and his disciples ) and “Jogan-Seiyo” ( a book about political morals ) ware published by this school, these were thereafter called the “Fushimi Version” or the “Enkouji Version”. Wooden printing types used for the publications are preserved in the present Enkouji Temple, which are relics of the highest significance for the history of publication in Japan. After its founding, the Enkouji Temple was moved into the premises of the Shokokuji Temple, and then to the present location in Kotani-cho, Ichijoji, in 1667. The principal image of the temple is Kannon ( a Bodhisattva ) with a thousand arms. Legend has it that a renowned sculptor, Unkei, made this figure. The temple also possesses the image of the founder, Genkitsu ( an important cultural asset ), the six-fold screen with a picture of a bamboo forest by a famous painter, Ohkyo Maruyama ( an important cultural asset ). In the garden Suikinkutsu makes a delicate natural sound in a ceramic pot under the ground. Around Seiyu Pond, the oldest pond in northern Kyoto, spring new greens and fall colorful leaves make this garden very attractive.

The Toshogu Shrine dedicated to Shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa is also located in these premises. In the graveyard of this temple there are the tombs of Takajo Murayama, and Mr. Omahru, a Malaysian student who died in Japan due to the atomic explosion in Hirosima.

雨竹風竹図屏風図 (重要文化財)

日本最古の木活字 (重要文化財)

contact

坐禅会、坐禅堂使用、茶室使用、ロケーション撮影使用、
写真利用、拝観時間等のお問い合わせはこちらへ

keikan-enkouji@nifty.com

*Please feel free to email us at kyoto-enkouji@mbr.nifty.com,
if you have any questions regarding: Zen meditation, uses of Zen practice hall and Tea house, on-location shooting, secondary-use of pictures of Enkouji, opening hours, and so forth.

© 2017 enkouji , kyoto japan.

開山 三要元佶(閑室)禅師

開基 徳川家康公

Founder Zen Priest Genkitsu Sanyo(Kanshitsu)

Dedicator shougun Ieyasu Tokugawa

慶長6年(1601)徳川家康は国内教学の発展を図るため、下野足利学校第九代学頭・三要元佶(閑室)禅師を招き、伏見に圓光寺を建立し学校とした。圓光寺学校が開かれると、僧俗を問わず入学を許した。また孔子家語・貞観政要など多くの書籍を刊行し、これらの書物は伏見版または圓光寺版と称された。当寺には、出版に使用された木活字が現存しており、我国出版文化史上特筆すべき寺院であるといえよう。その後、圓光寺には相国寺山内に移り、さらに寛文7年(1667)現在の一乗寺小谷町に移転された。寺内には本尊千手観音(伝運慶作)・開山元佶禅師像(重文)・竹林図屏風六曲(応挙作・重文)・近世初期制作の木製活字五万個(重文)がある。庭園は、山門を入ると枯山水「奔龍庭」が眼前に広がり、更に中門を抜けると苔と紅葉で有名「十牛之庭」がある。水琴窟、栖龍池とともに洛北の静寂さをかもしだしている。また、裏山には当山開基の徳川家康公を祀った東照宮や、墓地内には村山たか女(花の生涯のヒロイン)、マレーシア留学生オマール氏(広島原爆にて死亡)の墓がある。

開山 三要元佶(閑室)禅師

開基 徳川家康公

Founder Zen Priest Genkitsu Sanyo(Kanshitsu)

Dedicator shougun Ieyasu Tokugawa

慶長6年(1601)徳川家康は国内教学の発展を図るため、下野足利学校第九代学頭・三要元佶(閑室)禅師を招き、伏見に圓光寺を建立し学校とした。圓光寺学校が開かれると、僧俗を問わず入学を許した。また孔子家語・貞観政要など多くの書籍を刊行し、これらの書物は伏見版または圓光寺版と称された。当寺には、出版に使用された木活字が現存しており、我国出版文化史上特筆すべき寺院であるといえよう。その後、圓光寺には相国寺山内に移り、さらに寛文7年(1667)現在の一乗寺小谷町に移転された。寺内には本尊千手観音(伝運慶作)・開山元佶禅師像(重文)・竹林図屏風六曲(応挙作・重文)・近世初期制作の木製活字五万個(重文)がある。庭園は、山門を入ると枯山水「奔龍庭」が眼前に広がり、更に中門を抜けると苔と紅葉で有名「十牛之庭」がある。水琴窟、栖龍池とともに洛北の静寂さをかもしだしている。また、裏山には当山開基の徳川家康公を祀った東照宮や、墓地内には村山たか女(花の生涯のヒロイン)、マレーシア留学生オマール氏(広島原爆にて死亡)の墓がある。